Best Grass Seed – The Top Lawn Feed To Keep Your Your Garden Looking Fresh!
- 1 Best Grass Seed – The Top Lawn Feed To Keep Your Your Garden Looking Fresh!
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Grass Seed Is The Grass People Superstar!
With the weather warming up and spring right around the corner, you are sure to want your outdoor space to be as lush and green as possible. The basis for any grand outdoor space is your lawn. Whether your lawn’s grass is looking a bit sad, or if you need to reseed the entire thing altogether, choosing a grass seed that is right for you is no easy task. We have chosen a select few grass seeds that customers swear by for both professional and domestic purposes. Once you get through with this list, you will be able to have a much better idea of which grass seed will best suit your lawn.
The Grass People Superstar
If you are looking for premium grass seed, then look no further than the Grass People. Their specialised team has determined the best quality seed for all sorts of projects; whether you need grass at home, on the golf course, in a horse paddock, or for special landscaping purposes, they have you covered. With grass seed for all soil types, you cannot go wrong with a purchase from the Grass People.
The Grass People Superstar premium grass seed is the perfect seed for producing healthy, long lasting grass. This seed births a lush and attractive lawn that is perfectly suited to UK climates. It also is extremely tough and can withstand whatever you do on your lawn, whether it is football or gardening. This patented blend of perennial ryegrass and strong creeping red fescue is ideal for a hard-wearing lawn. The blend is 80 percent perennial ryegrass and 20 percent strong creeping red fescue.
The Grass People Superstar grass seed is tested in the Grass People’s in-house laboratory to make sure that the seed exceeds current EU standards for both purity and germination. The Grass people provide helpful instructions for either overseeding an existing lawn or sowing a new lawn.
The Grass People Superseed grass seed comes in several sizes to suit whatever size your lawn happens to be. The 2 kilogram bag will cover 40 square metres, the 10 kilogram bag will cover 200 square metres, and the 10 kilogram bag will cover 400 square metres.
In order to overseed an existing lawn, first clear away any dead grass, weeds, or moss. You can do this by simply raking the area that you want to overseed. Once debris is cleared away, rake the area again to loosen the soil. Now you are ready to sow the seed. The Grass People recommend that you sow the seed at a rate of 35 grams per square metre either using a seed spreader or your hand. Once the seed is spread, rake the seed in the soil and then tamp the soil down underfoot or with a roller. After doing this to improve the seed to soil contact, finish by lightly raking over the seeded area and then remember to water the area well.
If you are sowing a new lawn, the Grass People have a different methodology to do so. First, dig the soil to a depth of 20 to 25 centimetres. Then, remove weeds in the area either by hand or with a weed killer. If the soil is of a lower quality, feel free to add some top soil into the mix. Next, rake over the area to make sure that everything is level, and then you can sow the seed with your hand or with a seed spreader at a rate of 50 grams per square metre. After it is sown, rake the seed as to intersperse it among the soil. Finally, tamp down the soil by foot or by using a roller.
Once your new and improved lawn begins to come in, be sure to water it daily for the next six weeks, except when it is raining. You lawn will take nearly six weeks in order to become fully established. You will know when your new lawn is ready to be mowed when the grass blades a reach a height of between five and seven centimetres. Be sure to fertilise every now and then to keep your luscious new lawn healthy and free of weeds.
- Customers have raved that the 10 kilogram bag of this grass seed is an exceptional value for money paid.
- Buyers have commented on how easy the grass from this seed is to mow and how beautiful and uniforms it looks afterward.
- Some buyers have noted that not all the seed germinates; this is to be expected, however some results were worse than others from person to person.
- The best results with this seed are seen in the summer; if you try to seed your lawn with this particular seed in a different season, you may not see the best results possible.
All in all, the Grass People Superseed grass seed is a consistent mix that is great for seeding new lawns or overseeding an old one. It is incredibly affordable and will leave you with a lush, green lawn that you and your family will be able to enjoy for years and years to come.
A1 Lawn AM Pro-25 Grass Seed
A1 Lawn is a trusted brand in the UK and beyond of strong, well formulated grass seed that can be used for both domestic and commercial purposes. The provide seed for elegant manicured lawns and even football pitches, so you can be sure that they will have a seed to fit your need.
The A1 Lawn Pro-25 Grass Seed produces a tough, hard wearing grass that will be around for years and years to come. It can handle lots of wear and tear, so it is especially great if you and your family spend a lot of time outside on your lawn. It is perfect if your lawn gets a lot of use from children and pets.
A1 Lawn AM Pro-25 Grass Seed is Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA) certified which means that it is tested for purity, disease resistance, and germination rates. A1 Lawn also provides a sowing rate on their website. For a new lawn, they suggest seeding at a rate of 35 grams per square metre and for overseeding an existing lawn, they suggest sowing at a rate of 20 grams per square metre. For this particular seed, five kilograms can cover an area of about 140 square metres.
This grass seed mix is 50 percent dward perennial ryegrass and 50 percent strong creeping red fescue, which means that it is exceptionally durable.
- Customers note that the grass produced from this seed is almost carpet-like; it definitely packs a bang for its buck.
- This grass seed germinates very quickly, which is great if you are looking to grow you lawn in a short time period.
- Buyers have said that the grass that arises from this seed is a pleasure to mow, whether you have a battery mower or a rear roller mower.
- Do not expect this seed to germinate and grow if you do not sow it and water is properly. It definitely requires work and care in order to get the best results possible.
- This seed is a bit more expensive than its competitors, however you get what you pay for.
The A1 Lawn Pro-25 Grass Seed produces a durable, reliable grass that will last you and your family a long time to come. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than comparable products, but it is worth the investment.
Rapid Pro Seed
If you are looking for a grass seed that is comparable to football pitch quality, then perhaps you will want to go with Pro Seed when seeding your lawn this year. Pro Seed uses the latest and greatest breed of grass from around the world to provide you with the toughest, most beautiful lawn ever.
Rapid Pro seed is certified by the UK Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), which means that it has been regulated to meet UK and European standards. Rapid Pro Seed is a seed mixture available from Pro Seed that includes four different fast germinating types of rye grasses. The resulting grass is tough and hard-wearing, so if you and your household spends a lot of time outside on the lawn, you do not have to worry about thinning out your grass.
Rapid Pro Seed’s germination rate is much faster than competing seeds, which makes it ideal for patching up parts of your lawn that may be thinning out. Pro Seed suggests seeding your lawn with Rapid Pro Seed either between April and June or from the beginning of September to the end of October.
- Happy customers have noted that if the weather is warm and wet, this seed will germinate very quickly and will have your lawn covered in lush grass in no time.
- The hard-wearing grass from this seed will survive even the harshest conditions, whether they come from footwear or weather conditions.
- Pro Seed does not that these seeds will not grow is very hot and dry conditions or if the outdoor temperature falls below 8 degrees Celsius.
- Results are more consistent when used in conjunction with a seed spreader, which may be an extra cost for you if you do not already have access to one.
If you want your new seeded lawn to germinate quickly and evenly, then Rapid Pro Seed grass seed is the way to go. It is a bit pricey compared to the other options on this list, however if you are looking for a lush lawn quickly, then Pro Seed is the grass seed for you.
Gro-Sure Multi-Purpose Grass Seed
If you are looking for a bare-bones, basic seed, then you should go with Gro-Sure Multi-Purpose grass seed. This seed can be used for overseeding existing lawns or seeding new lawns with an average, hardy grass that is suitable for a whole range of lifestyles and activities.
Gro-Sure has taken the guess-work out of seeding your lawn. For an even spread, they say all you have to do is shake the seed over the area you want to grow grass in. This 9 kilogram pack can cover an area of 300 metres square, which is about the equivalent of 30 parkins spaces.
The blend of seeds employed in Gro-Sure Multi-Purpose grass seed has been rigorously tested for colour, germination speed, and durability to ensure a lush, usable lawn for the entire year. Gro-Sure says that in perfect conditions, new blades can be seen within three weeks of seeding.
- When cared for properly, germination of Gro-Sure Multi-Purpose grass seed can happen much more quickly when compared to similar grass seeds.
- This seed is one of the cheaper ones out there, and seems to work well enough for basic lawns and gardens.
- One of the claims that this seed makes is that its colour deters birds from eating the seed before it gets a chance to germinate. Several customers, however, have complained that birds have eaten this seed even more than untreated seed from another company.
- This seed needs a lot of care to generate the best results. Some buyers even suggest putting a thin layer of topsoil or compost over the seeds to ensure that they germinate better.
If you are looking for a hassle-free grass seed, then look no further than the Gro-Sure Multi-Purpose grass seed. This no nonsense seed is great for patching up an existing lawn or seeding a new one, and will get it done quickly if handled properly.
GroundMaster General Purpose Lawn Grass Seed
Another great all-rounder grass seed is the GroundMaster General Purpose Lawn grass seed. This seed is perfect if you want a ubiquitous, lush lawn. The grass produced from this seed is sure to last you all year; it is also the perfect seed mixture that can produce a hardy lawn that is perfect if you and your loved ones find yourselves outside a lot of the time. The seed mixture of this product specifically is 50 percent double lolium perennial rye grass, 20 percent troya lolium perennial rye grass, and 30 percent maxima festuca strong creeping red fescue.
The GroundMaster General Purpose Lawn grass seed can be used for patching holes in thinning lawns or even seeding an entirely new one. You can also customise your order to fit the size of your specific lawn, as this seed is available in one kilogram, five kilogram, 10 kilogram, 15 kilogram, 20 kilogram, or 25 kilogram bags.
GroundMaster swears by its product and ensures customers that blades of grass will begin to appear between five and ten days after seeding if cared for and watered properly.
- Customers say that the grass this seed produces makes for a lush, soft lawn that anyone will want to have.
- Buyers note that this seed is especially effective at repairing a thinning lawn or patching up holes in an existing lawn.
- Some customers have noted inconsistencies between different bags of the product; one bag will have seed that germinates quickly and another bag will appear inert as it will not sprout.
- Birds seem to really like this seed, so keep this in mind if you plan to use it.
The Groundmaster General Purpose Lawn grass seed is an average preforming grass seed that is most effective when used on already established lawns. The upside here is that it is incredibly cheap.
So, which grass seed do we deem to be our ‘Best in Show?’ That has to be the Grass People Superstar premium grass seed. For the quality of the seed, it is incredibly affordable and does exactly what it claims to do. It is also consistently the best at not only seeding new lawns, but also overseeding thinning lawns and repairing holes or patches that may result for a season of wear. If you need to pick a brand of grass seed to use on your lawn in the coming months, there is really nothing better than the Grass People Superstar premium grass seed.