The Best Cordless Strimmers for Spring and Summer 2020
- 1 The Best Cordless Strimmers for Spring and Summer 2020
- 1.1 Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer
- 1.2 Bosch AdvancedGrassCut 36 Trimmer
- 1.3 Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer
- 1.4 Greenworks Tools String Trimmer
- 1.5 Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer
- 1.6 Best in Show: Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Is Best Cordless Strimmer for Spring and Summer The Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer!
If you want the perfect looking lawn for this coming spring and summer, you cannot stop at maintenance with just a lawn mower. Whether you have a self-propelled, battery powered, or rear roller mower, the work does not stop there. If you really want that professional finish to you lawn with crisp, clean edges, then you definitely need to invest in a strimmer.
Strimmers are lightweight and versatile, making them able to tackle all different kinds of tasks you need done outside around your house. Strimmers can go from cutting precise edges between your lawn and the pavement to whacking down weeds under trees and bushes. We have curated a list of our favourite strimmers that are available in the UK today so you can get your lawn and garden ready for those warmer months that are just around the corner.
Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer
Since its founding in the early twentieth century, Black and Decker has been a trusted brand in the manufacturing of power tools and home improvement products in both the United States and the United Kingdom. Because of this, it is no surprise that the Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer is in a class all its own when it comes to cordless strimmers. This strimmer is incredibly fast, with top speeds of up to 8,500 revolutions per minute. This strimmer also boasts a 30 centimetre cutting swathe, which is much larger than some competing models have.
This particular strimmer has two power modes: Eco mode and Turbo mode. Eco mode allows for the maximum run-time and is suited for lighter tasks like trimming thin grass or edging your lawn along the pavement. If you are in need of more power for a heavier job, then Turbo mode provides the needed boost for cutting down tough weeds or grassy overgrowths.
Of course it is a huge benefit that this strimmer is cordless, but that only is beneficial if the battery lasts a long while. You will not be disappointed with the battery life on the Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer, as one charge can provide up to 3750 metres of cutting. The lithium-ion battery not only ensures that it will power the strimmer for a long while, but it also means that charging time is lightning-fast as well. Charging the battery fully only takes one hour! The battery can even hold a whole charge for up to 18 months while it is not in use. It also continues to work at low temperatures, which means that you can use your Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer all year, no matter the season.
The Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer is a measly 3.5 kilograms, making it one of the lighter cordless strimmers on the UK market. It is so easily portable, which is especially great if you have a large area of grass to work on as your arms will not get tired as quickly as they would with a heavier, petrol-powered strimmer. This comfort is only enhanced by the rubber telescopic handle as well as the adjustable secondary handle. This strimmer is also fitted with an auto feed system, which automatically feeds out line from the spool instead of requiring you to bump the strimmer’s head on the ground like many more traditional models.
- The Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer provides the user with super fast cutting rates and can be easily converted from trimming to edging.
- This strimmer is lightweight, compact, and boasts a comfortable and ergonomic design.
- This model can take on medium to large lawns with no problem.
- When in Turbo mode, the battery on this strimmer lasts for a much shorter period of time.
- This is by no means a cheap strimmer, as it is more expensive than many of its competitors.
- Some users have complained that this particular model struggles to cut through long, wet grass.
If you have the money to spend and the lawn space to take care of, then it is definitely worth investing in the Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer. Its high cutting speeds, lightweight body, and long run time make it a tool that you will use for years and years to come.
Bosch AdvancedGrassCut 36 Trimmer
While you may know Bosch as a manufacturer and seller of at home appliances, they also sell products that can be used outside your home as well. They are a large and trusted company that also sells power tools for your lawn and garden as well.
The Bosch AdvancedGrassCut 36 trimmer is a cordless strimmer that utilises a 36 volt lithium-ion battery. The battery life of this trimmer lasts around 30 minutes and takes about 70 minutes to charge. Even though this is not the longest battery life, Bosch batteries are compatible with other Bosch products, so if you have another Bosch battery lying around, you can pop it into your strimmer and keep cutting.
- The cutting width of this strimmer is 30 centimetres and it is super east to adjust the cutting head for edge trimming.
- The handles on this strimmer are rubberized, which makes it easy and safe to hold.
- You can share Bosch batteries between the Bosch AdvancedGrassCut 36 trimmer and your other Bosch power tools.
- Purchase of this strimmer does not come with the battery or charger; you must buy these separately.
- This is one of the more expensive cordless strimmers on the UK market.
Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer
Wrox is a power tool company that is perhaps best known for its line of lawn and garden tools. They pride themselves on making easy to use devices that can work for everyone, from the seasoned professional to the newbie homeowner. Their products fit the needs of most people, which is why they make our list.
The Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer is a highly rated, yet affordable strimmer that has excellent reviews from professionals and homeowners alike. Its variable speed adjustment allows the user to tailor the cutting to the grass conditions, which saves you time and energy down the line.
The Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer uses a patented Command Feed system that allows the line to be fed in an uninterrupted manner to the cutting spool with the simple touch of a button. This allows you to be in complete control of the line feed. In addition to this innovative line feeding system, this strimmer can quickly be converted from a wheeled edger to a mini mower and back again within seconds. In fact, this strimmer is unique in that it is fitted with two wheels. This not only lets you achieve an even finish on your lawn, but it also eases the weight on your shoulders, allowing for a more comfortable trimming experience.
This strimmer shares its lithium-ion battery with other Worx products; this is the manufacturer’s ploy to keep you buying power tools from the same company, but the system is really quite handy if you need to have several power tools. Because of this, you can interchange any of the Worx 20 volt batteries between their products. This is especially useful if you find that one of your batteries is dead or if you run out your battery life before the job you are in the middle of is finished. You can get about 30 minutes of work done on a fully charged battery, however it does take up to three hours for the battery to become completely charged.
This strimmer is fitted with an adjustable and telescopic shaft that provides you with complete control over your grass cutting experience. Because of this feature, you can adjust the strimmer to perfectly suit your height and posture. The angle of the strimmer head is also adjustable and can be angled between 0 and 90 degrees. All of these adjustments can be accomplished without the use of tools.
- This strimmer is easy to assemble straight from the box as the instructions that come with it are incredibly clear.
- The automatic feed system works well and saves you hassle as you do not have to bump the strimmer against the ground in order to get more line.
- The Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer is easy to handle and well balanced; it is also very lightweight compared to similar strimmers.
- Some buyers have complained that the Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer is more noisy than other comparable models.
- The batteries that power this strimmer take three hours to charge, which is much longer when compared to lithium-ion batteries that power other models.
- Purchase of this unit does not come with a battery or charger; you must buy those separately.
The Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer is a super affordable strimmer that gets the job done, no matter what kind of grass you need to cut down. Almost all of its features can be adjusted to fit you and the task at hand without the use of tools, which makes it the perfect purchase for that person who is relatively new at lawn and garden care. It has its drawbacks of course, however if you are buying a strimmer for the first time, this is a great model to start off with.
Greenworks Tools String Trimmer
Though Greenworks does not have the brand recognition that Bosch or Ryobi do, the Greenworks Tools String Trimmer is a professional tool that will service you and your lawn for years and years to come.
This lightweight and powerful strimmer is perfectly suited to medium and large sized lawns. The head on the Greenworks Tools String Trimmer is able to pivot, which gives you full control over how your lawn is trimmed. You can edge your lawn and then go straight to trimming the grass in hard to reach places like under trees and bushes in seconds.
This strimmer is powered by a 40 volt motor that provides plenty of power when cutting yet remains lightweight enough for a comfortable trimming experience. This strimmer is capable of cutting delicate blades around pavement and can chop down thicker weeds as well.
The Greenworks Tools String Trimmer is fitted with an auto feed feature which makes it super easy to feed the line through the head during operation. In this way, there is no need to bang this strimmer on the ground to get new line; instead, new line is fed through the head automatically after breaking.
The batteries and charger for the Greenworks Tools String Trimmer are sold separately, however the batteries that power this strimmer also power other Greenworks power tools. It is advantageous to buy this strimmer if you already happen to have some battery powered Greenworks tools, as you can interchange the batteries between different Greenworks products. This is why this particular strimmer seems so affordable. The strimmer itself is relatively cheap, but if you have to buy the battery and charger as well, it comes to the price of similarly powered models. If you have a Greenworks battery and charger from another product, however, this strimmer is a great deal.
- The pivoting head on this model is great for cutting grass at various angles; it is extremely versatile.
- The Greenworks Tools String Trimmer is lightweight in its design for comfortable, ergonomic handling.
- The auto feed line feature is supremely helpful; no more cumbersome bumping the head as with older, petrol strimmers.
- The battery and charger are sold separately from the strimmer unit.
- Greenworks batteries are much more expensive than batteries for comparable products, so this is definitely something that must be factored into your decision before purchasing.
Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer
If you already have Ryobi tools that are powered with their lithium-ion battery system, then the Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer will make a welcome addition to your collection.
Purchase of this strimmer does require some assembly, however it is quite easy to get it put together. You simply need to connect the shaft to the motor and then attach the guard to the head of the strimmer. This only requires tightening one winged bolt. Next, you will need a hex wrench to secure the middle of the shaft. Even though the assembly of this particular model is pretty simple, you do need a few additional tools to get it done.
The Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer comes with a handy support handle. It is able to pivot in order to change its angle so that you have a comfortable grip while using this strimmer. It is possible to move the support handle up and down the shaft, but it is pretty difficult to do so. Most customers are able to find a comfortable grip on this strimmer by simply using the pivoting motion of the support handle alone.
The cutting swathe can be adjusted to 11 or 14 inches (28 or 36 centimetres) which is a handy little feature that gives you even more customization power over our grass trimming experience. The cutter in the head of this strimmer comes pre-installed at 28 centimetres. To change the cutting swathe, you just have to take the screws out that hold the guard in the strimmer head, turn the guard around in the opposite orientation, and screw it back down.
The line changing system on this Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer is a bit different than other similar strimmers. This model uses a Reel-Easy line change system that utilises a reel handle that is completely separate from the head of the strimmer. When you need more line, all you have to do is thread some new line through the head and then use the separate reel to wind it up. This can be accomplished in less than a minute once you have done it a few times.
The Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer is equipped with a safety feature as well, which provides the user with peace of mind during operation. With its patented EasyEdge technology, you can quickly transition between edging and trimming modes with the press of a button on the handle of this strimmer.
- This unit is lightweight enough that you can keep trimming and trimming without your arms getting tired; this is especially great if you have a larger sized lawn.
- If you have other Ryobi products, you do not necessarily need to buy a battery for this unit, as a Ryobi battery from another power tool can be substituted into this model instead
- Some users have complained that while using this strimmer, they experienced vibrations similar to those that would be produced from a heavier petrol strimmer.
- Purchase of this strimmer does not include a battery or charger; these must be purchased separately.
- You do need a few additional tools to put this unit together, which can be a barrier to entry for those who are newer to home improvement activities.
The Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer will make a perfect addition to your other lawn care products. This strimmer is more suited to a homeowner who is already well-versed in power tools. It is not a great starter strimmer, but if you are confident in the garden, then the Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer is the strimmer for you.
Best in Show: Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer
Our favourite strimmer overall is the Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer. Although it is on the expensive side, you have to remember that purchase of this model does come with the lithium-ion battery and charger as well, so you do not need to make those extra purchases when you buy this strimmer. It is extremely comfortable to hold and lightweight enough that you can keep operating it for a long while without getting tired.
The two cutting modes, Eco and Turbo, allow for even more flexibility while trimming so that you can suit the amount of power you need to the task at hand. The auto feed system that this strimmer uses to extend more line is less cumbersome than the traditional bumping method that many strimmers use, making it even easier to operate.
The Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer makes a great purchase for those new to the lawn care game and for those that are more experienced, which is another reason that this strimmer is our favourite. If you are looking for power, maneuverability, and versatility, then you need to look no further than the Black and Decker Lithium-Ion Strimmer.
Last Updated on